Munroe Regional Lung RN Patient Navigator Program
In keeping with the Munroe mission of improving the health of our community by delivering compassionate innovative care, Munroe takes patient care to a higher level. Navigating the healthcare system can be overwhelming, so Barbara Timmington, RN, Munroe's Lung Patient Navigator, will help.
The Lung RN Patient Navigation program was initiated at Munroe Regional in February, 2011 and since then Barbara has provided personalized, one-on-one support to patients and their families facing a suspected or confirmed lung cancer diagnosis.
Throught the patients' lung cancer journey, Barbara works with staff and community alike. In addition to offering emotional support and assistance with treatment options, Barbara Timmington, RN Patient Navigator, will:
- Navigate patients through diagnostic evaluations.
- Assist with referrals and follow-up appointments with specialists.
- Assist with insurance issues.
- Educate and support each patient empowering them to make informed treatment decisions.
- Help guide patients and families to financial assistance resources.
- Act as a resource for prescription drug assistance.
- Provide answers or direction to answers for problems and concerns during lung cancer testing, treatment and survivorship.
- Connect patients and families to support services and special classes for better outcomes.
Barbara Timmington, RN
Munroe Regional Medical Center
Office: (352) 368-3497
Mobile: (352) 361-6473
Munroe does not administer chemotherapy or radiation therapy so rather than an all inclusive cancer treatment center, Munroe's Patient Navigation model is based on a Community Hospital Cancer Program. Community providers; pulmonologists, radiologists, thoracic surgeons, pathologists, medical and radiation oncologists work together to provide needed cancer diagnostics and treatment. The RN Patient Navigator works with community providers to coordinate care, answer questions, offer support, and assist Munroe Regional patients with a suspicious or confirmed lung cancer navigate the health care system.
Barbara eases the burdens of cancer patients and their families during this difficult and stressful time by helping to eliminate barriers to timely and appropriate care for their lung cancer treatment such as transportation or insurance.